Free Tax Preparation for 2020
If you made less than $72,000 in 2020, you can have your taxes done for free! There are 3 options for free tax preparation:
1. File your taxes on your own: The United Way sponsors free tax preparation through https://www.myfreetaxes.com/ Additionally, the IRS, has options through their free file partners to file your taxes for free. Visit https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/ to learn more.
2. Set-up an appointment with a Belmont Financial Coach to have your taxes completed virtually in partnership with our new Financial Education Center. Click Here to set-up an appointment.
3. Call 2-1-1 or visit http://www.211wny.org/ to set-up a virtual tax appointment with a certified VITA volunteer through another free tax site.
You will need the following documents to file your taxes for free:
- - Proof of identification (photo ID)
- -Original Social Security Cards (not copies) for you, your spouse, and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security; an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- -Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
- -Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- -Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- -All Forms 1095, if received Health Insurance through the marketplace
- -Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- -Copy of last year's federal and state returns, if available
- -Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check