Help! I need to file my tax return for 2018 or 2019.
You can still use the free tax preparation assistance offered by the IRS. There are 2 ways to get your taxes done for free.
1. File your taxes on your own: Through United Way’s partnership with H&R Block, every household with a simple return can file their federal and state taxes for free. Go to the website to see if you qualify: https://www.myfreetaxes.com/
2. Use 2-1-1 to set-up a virtual tax appointment with a certified VITA volunteer. You will need the following documents to file your taxes for free:
- - Proof of identification (photo ID)
- -Original Social Security Cards (not copies) for you, your spouse, and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security; an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- -Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
- -Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- -Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- -All Forms 1095, if received Health Insurance through the marketplace
- -Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- -Copy of last year's federal and state returns, if available
- -Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check