Section 8 Participation - Why Participate in the Housing Choice Voucher Program?
A majority of assisted tenants remain in the same unit for a number of years. Quality affordable housing leads to a more stable rental history and reduced turnover expense.
Vacancy listings on our website and in the Housing Resource Center reach hundreds of renters, both assisted and unassisted.
Landlords have full discretion in tenant selection within the guidelines of the Fair Housing Act. We even provide previous landlord contact information for your prospective tenants to assist in your screening process.
Housing Assistance Payments are disbursed via direct deposit into your bank account.
If your tenant experiences a decrease in their household income, their assistance increases so the tenant can afford to stay in your rental unit.
Initial and annual inspections ensure property meets basic standards for quality housing. Check out our “Get it Right the First Time-A Guide to Inspections”.
Quality affordable housing has been shown to have a significant positive effect on health and educational outcomes of its residents. By maintaining your property, managing it well, and making it affordable you contribute to the well-being of our community.
Belmont Housing Resources for WNY, Inc. is committed to professional administration of the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program and to a mutually beneficial partnership with area landlords.
Stop into one of our offices and meet our staff. Visit our Housing Resource Center located at 1195 Main Street in Buffalo for practical information on various topics of interest to property owners such as information on lead-safe practices and property management.
We look forward to seeing you!
HOUSING QUALITY STANDARDS (HQS)
HUD's minimum property standards for the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
Every unit must pass an HQS inspection before rental assistance is initiated, and then annually.
To Schedule an Inspection
Types of Inspections
• Conducted prior to start of rental assistance.
• Scheduled approximately 7-10 days after Belmont approves the Request for Tenancy Approval.
• All repairs must be completed within 30 days of the first inspection.
• The unit must be in move-in condition as determined by the inspector or the unit will be rejected.
• Rental assistance will not begin until the unit passes HQS and payments cannot be made retroactively.
• Conducted within 12 months of the initial or previous annual inspection.
• All repairs must be completed within 30 days.
• Payments will be abated if the unit does not pass a re-inspection within 30 days.
• Once payments are abated, they cannot be made retroactively.
• Conducted at tenant or owner request for safety or repairs at issue.
• Emergency repairs must be made within 24 hours. Non-emergency within 14 days.